Friday, March 13, 2009

Three Ways to File Your Taxes for Free

If you haven’t filed your taxes yet, there is still time to file for FREE! There are a variety of options available – you can file on your own online; file online with a trained volunteer available to answer your questions; or have an IRS trained volunteer prepare your taxes for you.

• To file online and on your own, there are several free websites: and To get started, you need the Social Security Numbers (or ITINs) and birth dates for all persons listed on the tax return, and income statements or W2s and 1099s for each job.
• To file online with the help of an IRS trained volunteer, visit the Bloomfield-Garfield Community Activity Center (corner of N. Pacific and Dearborn in Garfield) on Saturdays from 12 to 4 pm until April 11. No appointment is necessary to use the self-serve computers.
• To have an IRS trained volunteer prepare your taxes for free, call the United Way HelpLine at 412-255-1155 for eligibility guidelines and locations near you.

No comments: