Are you an undergraduate or graduate student who likes to write? Do you enjoy talking to people about their jobs, their businesses, their volunteer activities, their interests? Are you curious about what makes a neighborhood tick? If so, why not apply for an internship at The Bulletin, the community newspaper of
The Bulletin has been published since 1975 by the Bloomfield-Garfield Corporation (BGC) to:
* Disseminate information about the events, decisions, actions, and projects that affect, or will affect, life in
* Serve as a resource on services and activities of potential benefit to individuals or families in the area
* Offer an opportunity to express opinions and exchange ideas
* Act as a conduit for information on BGC-related programs, events, and projects to the broader community
Circulation: 20,000 monthly (16,600 mailed; 3,300 dropped; 100 for internal use)
Size: 11 x 17 tabloid, 16-20 pages
* Responsible for two or three articles (news or features) per issue – research, interviewing, writing – approved by and under direction of the editor. This is your chance to add significantly to your writing portfolio by amassing a variety of bylined clips from an established community newspaper.
* Assist editor with digital photography, photo editing, and page layout.
* Assist with copy editing, proofreading, and other editorial and administrative tasks.
* Strong research, writing, communication, and grammar skills
* Interest in local and community issues; familiarity with East End a plus
* Ability to meet deadlines; good follow-through
* Some newspaper, newsletter, or magazine experience helpful, but not required
* Ability to work 6 to 10 hours a week
* Preferred majors: journalism/communications, English, political science, history, any interdisciplinary studies; but all will be considered
Bulletin internships are unpaid, course-credit only, and are available in the fall and spring terms. To apply, contact:
Paula Martinac, Editor: Bulletin@bloomfield-garfield.org -or- 412-441-6915